Thursday, May 24, 2007

The problem with IT

I've had a headache now for like, 4 days, so I'm going to take this opportunity to bitch. Not that I need an excuse...

So I play a game called Eve Online. It's a fun game, and I pay the monthly fee because I enjoy it. It's astonishing to me, however, the game has the problems it does. I can't really get into detail too much without describing the game, but problems with delays caused by information being stored on the server instead of the client is probably my single biggest beef.

Anyway, that's not the point of this post. Eve deployed a new patch to fix a stupid feature, and they had to take the server down for 'hardware problems' apparently, which is ok, I don't play it enough to be bothered by that, but I got on Eve this evening, and commented about it, and some guy starts bitching me out because he works in IT, and I don't realize how difficult things are, and hardware can be funny, and ISP problems are beyond your control, and a whole slew of crap. And I think to myself, Wow...this guy takes care of servers, and he thinks it's ok for them to be down...

Like the real problem in IT is the people who expect things to work. Like people should be sympathetic because they're not being provided with the service which it is the IT department's job to provide. There are more than enough tools to provide consistent and reliable service to IT customers, and there is no excuse for not doing so. ISP related issues can happen, but it's your job to make sure that the ISP your company uses is reliable and is held accountable for any issues that do come up.

Anyway. The guy just burned me. There was a time when that kind of crap might have passed, but modern day, if IT is inconveniencing your customers in ANY way, it's a big problem, and it needs to be fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment