Thursday, October 12, 2006

Priority Scheduling for Cheerleaders

The issue of priority scheduling for cheerleaders is being discussed in Miami Administration, apparently. I'm honestly not sure how I feel about it. Currently, all the sports people get priority registration so that they can get the classes they need, and not have them interfere with their sports. Cheerleaders, however, have to register with all the non-sports people. I guess I look at it this way:

To me, my studies are the most important aspect of my college type stuff. That means classes. To football, soccer, baseball, cheer leading, whatever, they have either a mixed priority between scholarly and athletic pursuits, or their atheletic stuff is their priority. So, according to that, here's how it should go:

If you're just focused on academics, you should get first choice on classes
If you're doing other stuff along with classes, guess what? You've chosen to split your priorities, and thus you have to deal with it, something that schools generally don't make athletes do.

Fortunately or unfortunately, however, since athletes do bring a lot of attention to a school, they get priority treatment, and I guess honestly I can't argue with that. It's advertising. But if every sports person gets priority, so should cheerleaders, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment