Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Kubuntu Feisty Installation Part 1

If you're a geek and you haven't tried Kubuntu Feisty yet, you're really missing out. I've been using it on my main computer for about 3 weeks, and so far I'm impressed as hell. This is the saga of my install of Kubuntu Feisty 7.04 from the 650MB live/install CD.

Now, I did run into some issues. I wanted to dual boot between Kubuntu and Windows XP (I gotta have my games), and I knew I needed to really reinstall XP since I've been riding it pretty hard this last year, but I wanted to see how Kubuntu dealt with it. I tossed the disk in the drive, restarted, and the computer booted into Kubuntu. I told it I wanted to install, and everything was strait forward.

Kubuntu recognized the existing Windows partition, and asked me what to do. I could resize the Windows partition and install Kubuntu in the new space I made, install and use everything, or install in the largest existing free space (none?). Like I said, I wanted to reinstall Windows, so I selected this option knowing full well that things might get ruined, but I told it to resize Windows and use 30GB. The installer made a bit of noise...and froze. For a long time. I guess it's possible it could take hours upon hours to resize my drive, but I don't have time for silly things like that. So I restarted, and checked Windows. It was fine.

Ok, so time to hose everything. I deleted all partitions, installed XP on 30Gb, and it was happy. Next, I threw in the Kubuntu CD again, and told it to install on the remaining free space. It worked its magic, restarted me, and boom. I have a boot loader asking me if I want to run Windows XP or Kubuntu. So I picked Kubuntu.

First issue I ran into was that Kubuntu doesn't come with drivers for nVidia cards, and I definitely wanted support for all my fancy graphics. I've had really rough times with Fedora and SuSE trying to get nVidia to play friendly. Here's what I had to do:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx
sudo vim /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Once you're in there, change the line that references "nv" as the driver to "nvidia"

Restart X11, and you're in business! To check and make sure everything is happy, run this command:

glxinfo | grep direct

It should have a "Yes" by direct rendering.

No comments:

Post a Comment