Saturday, June 16, 2007

Safari for Windows

I have IE7, FireFox, Opera, and Safari installed on my windows box now. Since I do a lot of web development, the more browsers I can look at something in, the better. Here's my preliminary review:

Pros:
It's fast - Apple claims it's up to 2x as fast, which wouldn't surprise me, but it's certainly quicker than IE.
It's clean - The interface is nice, although appleish and apparently not skinnable, and the default font is excellent.
It seems to display most pages right. At least better than IE6 or IE7. I initially had issues with Safari because it had poorer support for CSS2 than IE, but it looks like it's come a long way.

Cons:
Nice firefox features are missing. Where's my spellchecking for text boxes?
Plugins aren't as well established, universally compatible as Firefox. Where's my del.icio.us plugin?

Summary:
If you're a Firefox or Opera user, don't bother. It's not as good. If you're an IE user, please for the love of god, try something else. If something has kept you from Firefox and Opera, give Safari a try. And if you're a web developer, well, we now have another check to run! Safari on Windows!

No comments:

Post a Comment