Thursday, December 14, 2006

Seti@Home

So, I've heard criticism on more than one occasion, that while Seti@Home is a fun, and interesting project, there are much more useful things to do with our collective computing power. However...I have yet to see one. And don't talk to me about that protein folding bullshit. Here's the payoffs:

Seti@Home discovers ANYTHING: They tell people, people find out, and either we get another star, or a black hole, or a stellar anomaly, or aliens.

Protien Folding discovers cure for AIDS: Nobody ever finds out, because it's CHEAPER TO SELL MEDICINE THAN CURE PEOPLE.

At least that's my bet. I'll put a nickel on it. But not for you.

So, to the point, I've started using Seti@Home again. And...since no man is an island, cept for the real fatties, I have joined a team: Miami University! I don't have particularly great 'school pride', but I figure if I'm going to be part of a team, I should pick a relevant one.

As of today, we are 914th in terms of University and department teams. Which is absolutely pitiful considering the number of computers we have. Somebody use those labs!

1 comment:

  1. I realize I'm commenting a bit late on this, but...

    it's probably cheaper to find a cure than to keep all of those sick people in and out of the hospital, and medicated. Sure, we might already know how to cure it, but where's the money in that?

    ReplyDelete