Saturday, September 22, 2007

2000 Eclipse Center Speaker Replacement

Hey everyone. I've been so busy, my google updates will continue midway through next week. For now, I'm just posting a bit of knowledge here for others to stumble upon, since I couldn't find any god damn instructions and had to bake in the hot sun in my car for about 30 minutes longer than I should have had to.

Replacing the center speaker in a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse is not a difficult task, and requires only a short phillips head screwdriver, and a little muscle.

There are two screws located at the bottom of the center dash cover. Remove these screws using your short phillips screwdriver. The cover is now held in place by two clips at the top of the console, just below the clock. Pull strait back on the dash cover, and the clips will pop out, and the dash cover will be almost loose. Watch for the two metal clips to fly off of the cover as you remove it. You don't absolutely need these clips, but to do the job right, you'll want to make sure you don't lose them.

There will still be a cable connecting the hazard light button to the rest of the car. I recommend unplugging this cable from the console cover to make things easier.

The housing over the clock display now slides forward, however it is held in place by two more clips, and has to be muscled out. Pull the clock housing straight back, and with a little muscle, the clips will release and the housing will be removed.

The speaker is now visible behind the clock. You can remove the clock to make things easier. Unplug the cable leading to the speaker, and simply pull the center speaker straight out, looking at the speaker orientation as you do. Place the new speaker in using the same orientation, plug it back in, and start reassembling your car!

EDIT: Ok, I also submitted this to Answers.com, which might be a little more visible. Still, I live my life in my own way if I want, so if you don't like what I write, then I bite my thumb at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment