Monday, December 03, 2007

Understudyin'

I never auditioned for the lead role in a play. And therefore, I never got the role, but if I ever did audition and got to be an understudy, I would totally not even pay attention to the play at all. Like, I'd show up for practice and whatnot, but I'd basically just zone out the whole time, and I'd never read the script.

You see, most people don't understand the actual role of the understudy. If somebody gets a role for a play, it's their job to act out that role. The main character should act out the main character. The understudy...should act out the understudy. That's the job.

When the main person, or whoever, gets killed or dies or whatever, and has to be in the hospital for a while, people go to the play, and they're like, 'The main character isn't here, I wonder what this understudy is like', and of course, you're high, because you've been smoking it up back stage for like, an hour, and you don't even know what the play is about. That's the magic of it. Understudy is actually the single most important role in a play, because everyone has seen Much Ado About Nothing, but how many people have seen somebody totally improv an entire roll? Yeah. It's better.

No comments:

Post a Comment