Monday, April 14, 2008

Work as a Consultant and The Extreme Silence of the Flatulent Woman

So working as a consultant is a little difficult. Not really that it's hard, just that it takes a lot of time.

I have a good job, where I'm a code control lead for a very important project. I take my work very seriously, and am trying to earn the respect of the team. Work can be a little stressful, and it can take a lot of time, but it's not hard. The most difficult part is simply dealing with people who are in a different country.

But I also have an alter-ego, where I work for another company which offers to train me and give me all this great experience, but also wants me to show up for these late classes and meetings, and extend my work into the domain of my personal life.

At times, I wish I didn't have to do the extra work... and then I remember that I don't. I can just do what's required, and get my monthly pay check, and raise at the end of the year, and live just fine. But I want more than that, which is why I'm a consultant. I want the training, the certifications, the experience, and the responsibilities and extra income that are associated with that.

Really, I work full-time for two great companies. I'm not sure I'd buy stock in either (although I'm pretty sure I own stock in GE anyway...), but the people are good, the work is good, and the experience is good!

1 comment:

  1. You're in a good place in your life, congratulations!

    But wait, what about the flatulent women? :)

    ReplyDelete