Wednesday, September 06, 2006

I'm not rude, I'm just not from the 1400s

People sneeze. It's because they get little pollen bits in their noses, so far as I know. So you get pollen in your nose, sneeze, and the pollen goes out. Problem solved.

A lot of people hear someone sneeze, and they say 'Bless You'. This made sense back when people thought that sneezing was because the person had demons in their head. Since, oh, you know, the end of the dark ages, however, we know that's not quite true (or at least it's not related to sneezing). So why do people still say it? Hell if I know. When people cough, you don't say something, like, 'Sorry you're coughing, mate'. You just shut up and let them cough, and if they do it a long time you ask them if they're dying, or tell them to leave, or something like that.

So, point of this rant: when you sneeze, and I don't give you a blessing, it's not because I'm rude. Shit...I don't even have authority to bestow blessings, generally speaking. It's because how, when, where, and why you choose to clean dirt and pollen from your nose is not really my concern.

Take it easy.

1 comment:

  1. Have you forgotten that you're ordained by the church of the holy sect of the internet? The certificate was printed out too, so technically speaking, you should be doing most of the blessing...

    ~*~

    ReplyDelete