Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Going Mobile

For the past month or so, I've been looking at notebook computers, because I need one for school. My requirements were 2.0Ghz Dual Core or faster, upgradeable to atleast 2GB of RAM, DVD burner, and small. In the end, I found three makers who had anything for me:

Gateway had a nice laptop that met my criteria for $1500
Sony had a nice laptop that met my criteria for just over $2000
Apple has the MacBook which met my criteria at $1250

Now, if we were back in the days when Apple was still using the Power PC architecture, they would not have been in the running at all. I don't buy crap. But...OSX beats the living hell out of Windows Vista or whatever they're calling it now. That, coupled with built-in bluetooth, a built-in webcam...well...they sold me. I'm getting a Mac.

I've been called a traitor a lot for it, but I don't see it. If gateway offered the same thing for the same price, would I have gone with apple? Probably not. I hate their following of trendy pricks, and anyone who walks to class listening to an iPod should have the earbuds beaten out of their damn skull. Just for that, they don't deserve my money, but I'm not spending an extra $250 to get a PC with less features just to stick it to Apple. I'll go to one of their apple stores and steal something to even things out.

So my new notebook should arrive, hopefully, by the end of the week, which is good, because I have to start programming, and I don't want to lug the 17" laptop around that I've been using.

Additionally, being a student, and getting a MacBook, there is a deal where you get $30 off the iPod, and an additional $179 rebate, so Rob is getting an iPod. Once again...if the price wasn't right, would we have gone with iPod? Probably not. I actually like the offerings of Samsung and Creative a bit more than apple, but at $89 for a 30GB iPod? Gotta do it. Hell, if we could get two, I would have gotten one for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment