Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Student Offices

I was the school vice president in the 8th grade, but I never ran for any kind of office in Highschool, nor do I have any interest in college.

In gradeschool, I was too young for my mind to work, but it was cool because we were the first class-anythings ever. We created the system. Built it from the ground up. Laid the pipes and boundaries, and set the roads and the path into the future and all that crap.

In highschool...eh...I don't see the appeal. Unless you're a prick with aspirations to be a political something or other, or you want to get into harvard and they think that you being the class president actually means something (other than that you are a prick...which might be a prerequisite for harvard...I don't know), what's the point? You don't really get any power, and so you don't really get any opportunity to make a difference...it's just a popularity contest. And that's what it was. At least at my highschool.

In college, things are too big to generally know the people you're voting for (at least from my experience), so it's just like real life, you vote for some person who doesn't care about you and is going to screw you over if they get any gain from it. I'm not voting for an asshole of the future.

Anyway, the point of this post...were you ever in student council, or whatever they called it at your school? Were you the treasurer? Because seriously, what the hell does the treasurer do? Keep track of bake sale funds? Seriously? Somebody else keeps track of that stuff. What's the deal?

2 comments:

  1. Dude, coincidentally I was treasurer for my senior class. And I would like to say, that after signing a large number of forms that I had no idea were worth MONEY, I left my senior class a whopping $3500 in debt. I'm damn proud of that, and someday I'm going to be a financial wizard at some big company. I don't mean I'm going to be smart, I'm going to have magical powers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I thought I did some damage to my school, but I think you've got me.

    You're the man, Mark.

    ReplyDelete